The 2018-19 athletic season kicks off for many Penn State University Athletic Conference programs this weekend. With the new year and our new website, we unveil our newest addition to our website content: The Lion’s Share, a weekly preview/review of the biggest and best things to happen around the conference.
With pleasantries out of the way, let’s get to the opening weekend!
- Penn State Beaver hosts their 5th annual USCAA Volleyball Tip-Off Tournament. The Lions have hosted teams from around the USCAA every year since 2014, with this year’s field including nine teams, the largest group since the season opening tournament was created. Six of the teams headed to Monaca have had recent appearances in the USCAA National Championship Tournament. Action gets underway on Friday, Aug. 31st and continues on Saturday. Participating institutions include PSU Beaver, PSU Fayette, PSU Greater Allegheny, Florida National University, Johnson & Wales (NC), Carlow University, University of Cincinnati-Clermont, Christendom College and the University of Maine-Fort Kent.
- NEW! NEW! NEW! Penn State Lehigh Valley unveils its first intercollegiate men’s and women’s soccer teams this year. The men square off with Lehigh Carbon Community College at noon on Saturday, Sept. 1st. Beginning as a club in 2017, the team has expanded to a roster of 25 and enters its first year in the PSUAC.
- The women’s program will kick off its season on Sept. 13th when they travel to NCAA Division III opponent Bryn Athyn.
- Defending women’s cross country champion Alexis Luna opens up her season with her Penn State Schuylkill teammates at the Delaware Valley Invitational on Saturday, Sept. 1st. Luna went on to finish 30th at the USCAA National Championship in 2017, the highest finish for a PSUAC female runner last year.
- Penn State Mont Alto kicks off their women’s volleyball schedule against NCAA Division III competition, hosting Hollins University as they look to improve upon their 15-6 finish a year ago.
- Mont Alto’s women’s soccer program also returns to action after a year-long hiatus, traveling to Central Penn College on Saturday, Sept. 1st.
- Penn State Brandywine begins their defense of an unprecedented seven PSUAC championships from 2017-18. Women’s soccer hosts The College of New Jersey, the no. 3 ranked team in NCAA Division III. TCNJ is the first-ever NCAA ranked opponent the women’s soccer team has played, and represents the highest-ranked squad any Brandywine program has ever played. TCNJ is a three-time NCAA national champion and reached the NCAA semifinals as recently as 2017.
- The Brandywine women’s volleyball program, also a PSUAC defending champion, will set off on a 14-game road trip to begin this season as they await the completion of upgrades to their gymnasium. First up, they will travel to Wilkes University, and NCAA Division III member.
Enjoy the 2018-19 PSUAC season!