MEDIA, Pa. – The Pennsylvania College of Technology tennis team pulled out an upset as it defeated Penn State Brandywine 5-4 in conference action Saturday. The Wildcats had lost 8-1 earlier in the season to Brandywine but turned the tables in the victory dealing the team its first loss of the season. With the match tied at 4-4, it came down to number one doubles where freshmen Jordan Rodgers (Biglerville) and Christopher Morrin (Morrisville) took on Steve James and Norris Hua winning a nail-biting 6-3, 4-6, 10-5. The win improves the team to 6-1 overall and in the Penn State University Athletic Conference (PSUAC)
Six of the nine games in the match were decided in the third set. In singles Rodgers defeated Nick Desiderio 2-6, 6-2, 12-10 at the second flight and Morrin defeated David Winchock 3-6, 6-2, 10-5 at third singles. On the women's side, sophomore Jenna Walmer (Lebanon) won first singles 6-4, 6-7 (7-4), 10-8.
Rounding out the match winners were junior Caleb Wise (Manheim) and sophomore Adam Smith (Duncannon) who won second doubles on the men's side 7-6 (7-5), 1-6, 12-10.
Next up, the Wildcats travel to Penn State Mont Alto for a 3 p.m. match on Wednesday, Oct. 10.
1. Steve James (BW) def. Adam Smith 6-1, 6-2
2. Jordan Rodgers (PCT) def. Nick Desiderio 2-6, 6-2, 12-10
3. Christopher Morrin (PCT) def. D. Winchock 3-6, 6-2, 10-5
4. B. Sannoh (BW) def. Caleb Wise 6-0, 6-1
1. Jenna Walmer (PCT) def. Sloane Casey 6-4, 6-7 (7-4), 10-8
2. Morgan Nailey (BW) def. Taylor Lapointe 6-2, 6-0
1. Rodgers/Morrin (PCT) def. James/Norris Hua 6-3, 4-6, 10-5
2. Smith/Wise (PCT) def. Winchock/Sannoh 7-6 (7-5), 1-6, 12-10
1. L. Masse/H. Gartside (BW) def. Walmer/Lapointe 2-6, 6-0, 8-10