Wildcats Edge Out PSU Brandywine for PSUAC Championship
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. – The Pennsylvania College of Technology tennis team took first place by the slimmest of margins at the Penn State University Athletic Conference Championships. The two day tournament was held at the Sarni Tennis Complex on the campus of Penn State University and featured men's and women's players from Penn State Brandywine, Penn State Mont Alto and Penn State Lehigh Valley as well as Penn College. The Wildcats totaled 69 team points edging out Brandywine who came in second with 67.
The Penn College men had a strong day won winning all singles and doubles semifinal rounds to earn berths into the championships. In the championship matches, sophomore Adam Smith (Duncannon) won men's second singles defeating Brandywine's Nick Desiderio 6-4, 6-3. Freshman Jordan Rodgers (Biglerville) took the third flight over Brandywine's Dan Winchock 6-7 (4-7) 6-1, 10-4. Freshman Christopher Morrin (Morrisville) rounded out the singles champions with a 0-6, 6-4, 10-4 win over Brandywine's Bocki Sannoh 6-2, 6-3.
In doubles, Rodger and Morrin ended their impressive rookie campaign undefeated with a championship win over Brandywine's Winchock and Sannoh 6-2, 6-3 in the men's second flight.
On the women's side in singles, sophomore Jenna Walmer (Lebanon) lost in the women's first singles semifinals match 6-0, 6-0 to the eventual champion from Mont Alto Annette Deutsch. Freshman Taylor Lapointe also lost to Mont Alto's Kathiegong Williams in the women's second singles semifinals 6-1, 6-1.
This is Robert Kemrer's first championship as head coach of the program. His first year, the team took second behind Brandywine. In total, the Wildcats have captured four PSUAC Championships.
1. Penn College 69
2. PSU Brandywine 67
3. PSU Mont Alto 60
4. PSU Lehigh Valley 37
1. Steven James (BW) def. Nathan Scott (PCT) 7-5, 6-3
2. Adam Smith (PCT) def. Nick Desiderio (BW) 6-4, 6-3
3. Jordan Rodgers (PCT) def. Dan Winchock (BW) 6-7 (4-7), 6-1, 10-4
4. Christopher Morrin (PCT) def. Bocki Sannoh (BW) 0-6, 6-4, 10-4
1. Steve James/Nick Desiderio (BW) def. Scott/Smith (PCT) 6-2, 6-3
2. Rodgers/Morrin (PCT) def. Dan Winchock/Bocki Sannoh (BW) 6-2, 6-3
1. Annette Deutsch (MA) def. Jenna Walmer 6-0, 6-0
2. Kathiegong Williams (MA) def Taylor Lapointe 6-1, 6-1
1. L. Masse/H. Gartside (BW) def. Walmer/Lapointe 6-2, 1-6, 10-4